We only have a week ahead before the Maundy Thursday and it is customary for Caviteños to visit seven churches in this very special day. Maundy Thursday marks the event before Jesus was crucified on the cross and to commemorate with these events, it has been a general practice for us to visit seven churches either on Maundy Thursday or Good Friday and recite the Station of the Cross in them. Some will visit fourteen churches to symbolize the fourteen stations of the cross. Cavite City alone, is already a great spot for Visita Iglesia because we do have many churches and chapels here to visit without the need of traveling on nearby towns. Listed below are the parishes and chapels in Cavite City that will be opened publicly for Holy Week. Note: The churches were numbered and arranged according to their location if you are going to start from the city’s checkpoint.
1. San Sebastian Chapel – The chapel is situated inside the San Sebastian College and is located in Sta Cruz Cavite City. The chapel is open to public for Maundy Thursday.
2. San Pedro Apostol Parish – Located in P Justo Caridad just behind the Bautista General Hospital (Check : San Pedro Apostol Parish of Cavite City )
3. Caridad Aglipayan Church (Iglesia Filipina Independiente) Our Lady of Charity – Located along the P. Burgos Ave near the new Bautista General Hospital and Subi Monte Cafe
4. San Roque Parish Church – Located in R Basa right across Manuel Rojas Elementary school and near St Joseph College
5. Stella Maris Chapel – Located inside the Philippine Naval Base. They are open for public for Holy Thursday but in limited hours only.
6. Porta Vaga Chapel – Located in Judge Ibanez Street and just few blocks away from the City Hall
7. Parish of San Antonio De Padua (Iglesia Filipina Independiente) Filipino Catholic Apostolic Church – Located in Rafael Palma Street in San Antonio.8. San Antonio De Padua Parish Church – Located along M Gregorio Street in San Antonio
9. Our Lady of La Naval Chapel – Located inside the Sangley Point also open to public but in limited hours during Maundy Thursday
10. St Joseph Chapel (Air Force) also accessible through Sangley Point